UPDATE: Deadline For Filing Has Been Extended To July 15, 2020

At the Vermilion City Council Meeting on Monday, March 16, 2020, Amy Hendricks, Finance Director, reminded Vermilion residents that the Regional Income Tax Authority (RITA) is no longer providing paper forms to member municipalities. To file, residents may:

1. File electronically at www.ritaohio.com

2. Download and print forms from www.ritaohio.com

3. For assistance, call the automated line at 1-800-860-7482.

“RITA is now using a new processing that matches up W-2s that employers file with the IRS to addresses within RITA service areas,” stated Hendricks. “In recent years, they have discovered an increasing number of people who are not paying local income taxes. We have been providing the information for people signing up or making changes to utility accounts, as well as applying for building permits.”

All residents of the City of Vermilion are required to pay local income tax of 1.5% on earned income. This tax is administered by the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA).

Frequently Asked Questions: 

1. I work in another community that withholds income tax from my paycheck. Do I still pay City of Vermilion taxes?

YES! Please contact RITA to determine the amount you will owe based on the tax paid where you work. They will instruct you on how to make quarterly estimated payments. Some employers will withhold the additional amount for Vermilion and file it with RITA so check with your payroll office. 

2. Do township residents pay City of Vermilion income taxes?

MAYBE! Confirm the specifics for your address:

a. Do you receive a billing for services from the city for any utility services, such as garbage? If so, you are subject to Vermilion income tax.

b. Do you live in a township, but within the City of Vermilion corporation limits? If yes, you are subject to Vermilion income tax.

c. If unsure, verify your tax district by contacting RITA as other agencies are not as familiar with the various boundaries. Your neighbor may not be right.